Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Gun "Control"

It's not even January 2nd and already I'm putting up another blog post... Oh my. Hope someone put down their resolution to read obscure blogs more often!

I'm up and I can't sleep. My brain keeps tinkering with thoughts and concerns keep me up. I know this happens to a lot of people, but my concerns probably don't qualify as "NORMAL." For example, most people would probably be concerned knowing there are people with guns. My concern is that someone might just take their guns away...

Hot-button issue across the country - Gun Control! You probably guessed my standpoint just from that last paragraph, but before you shoot down my position (hehehehe... gun humor!), take a moment to hear out my thoughts on this crucial issue. 

Lock and Load! 

The way I chose to look at this issue is by taking a glance at the history of our nation. Why do we even have the second amendment to begin with? What were the issues facing our fledgling country that compelled our founding fathers to allow these rights to exist?

I learned that there were many legitimate reasons for allowing Americans to possess their own firearms. Here's what they seemed to boil down to:

- Defeat invaders (British)
- Made it possible to form a militia (If needed to fight the British)
- Dissuade tyrannical governments from taking power (British AND American)
- Personal protection (From other people with guns!)
- Supress insurrection (Crazy people loyal to Britain)

One of the greatest reasoning behind granting the right to bear arms was so that the Colonies could muster a defensive force against the inevitable war against the British. Nowadays, our "Well regulated militia" is the Army, Navy, Marines, and National Guard. They do protect our borders. As so police men and masked vigilantes (not so often those last ones...).

So, the question MUST be asked: Do any of these reasons still apply to our society today?

Well... we don't have to worry TOO much about the British attacking. We already have a strong military (some say TOO strong...). We have other means readily available to suppress insurrectionists and traitors.

I would say that there are only two reasons still applicable today that would warrant upholding the second amendment: Dissuading tyranny and personal protection. Let's explore the notion!

Tyranny is always persistent. It doesn't matter how many checks and balances we put in place, people in power will always find a way to obtain more power. It's only a matter of time before someone decides to take the presidency a little too far. The price of freedom is perpetual vigilance from threats both foreign and domestic! Sometimes the greatest threat to our freedom comes from within. 

If the majority of people agreed to give up the right to bear arms, then we could be opening a door down the road to massive tyranny imposing itself through the American Government. I know! It's a long shot right? The government telling us what to do, how to work, how much money we can make, what we can and can't eat, where to go for health care... Maybe not so much of a stretch after all...

If (and that's a BIG if) the government ever did get out of hand, our founding fathers wanted to give us the opportunity to fight back. At least it would make it a bit more difficult for the government to take over its people. I mean, we can't exactly get on another Mayflower and try this whole thing over again. Right? Probably a good enough reason alone is to keep the government in check. Like a last defense type of thing. 


Then there's the self defense issue. Do we still have unsafe neighborhoods and people committing violent acts? Yes. Yes, we do. But are guns really necessary in order to protect ourselves? I mean, we have a WHOLE lot of non-lethal options: Tasers, pepper spray, socks with rolls of quarters in them, bricks in purses, phasers, plastic light sabers, attack pigeons... The list really goes on and on for effective close range weapons that aren't likely to kill an attacker. 

And my personal position on self defense is that I wouldn't want a gun in my home. But you need to understand where I'm coming from with that. See, I have had the experience of being robbed at gun point. I have trained heavily in the martial arts. I know EXACTLY what to do if someone breaks into my home and is armed. I don't own a gun, because that would be largely ineffective for that situation. Someone breaks into my house at night, they're going to round a corner to come face to face with a razor sharp KATANA! Silent, elegant, but very messy...

My point is that non-lethal weapons are a GREAT advantage for the person who wants a great personal defense from up-close attackers. If you're grabbed or snuck up on, these weapons, and others, are great for SHORT RANGE situations. 

But, if I were in a large room, outdoors, in a restaurant, anyplace where an attacker were from 20-50 feet away... well, even my 3 foot blade of slicing steel would be ineffective at that distance.  Guns are ideal for stopping crazy people with guns in real life situations where the death toll can climb quickly. I dare say that the only time you'd need a gun for personal protection is when you're outside your own home.


There you have it. Those two reasons alone convince (my mind at least) that the second amendment should continue unimpeded. This is the futile thought - That making a LAW would possibly STOP a lawBREAKER. Laws don't protect us from people with guns, it just makes it simpler to punish them IF we catch them alive...

If you happen to have a favorite meme on this Gun Control issue, please share it in the comment section!

PEW PEW PEW!

No comments:

Post a Comment