Saturday, May 26, 2012

Post Post Posted

My writing has never been called "outstanding." At best, my attempts at forging compelling literature amounted to a passing grade in high school English class. It's likely that my works will never gain notoriety. I imagine the most critical scrutiny I will receive in my lifetime is a few well-meaning relatives correcting my spelling and grammar usage. For most people, knowing that their attempts at something can only hope to attain the level of "average" is enough to dissuade them from putting real effort into what they choose to do. Thankfully, I'm immune from such a common disposition. 

My experiences have left me determined to pursue greatness. I've learned early on that the only way to succeed is through ferocious intensity aimed directly at your goal. If I don't give more than 100%, then I will never be more than I am at this moment. That's the very principle behind growth, endurance, advancement, ANYTHING that yields progress. 

This is not a safe principle to live by. Don't allow your imagination to go to the place where this principle becomes an iron-clad mathematical equation for success. Giving more than 100% towards the endeavor of excellence is NEVER a sure thing. There is a very real chance that failure CAN (and does) occur. It is possible to fail even when giving 110%, but I still contend that giving more than you have is the ONLY option that has even the possibility for success. 

You cannot find that which you do not seek. You cannot do that which you do not try. 

Success in giving all is not a guarantee, but failure from giving nothing is a certainty. How do great people break from the chains of mediocrity and soar above the stars to be remembered for all time? They simply refused to give less than 100%. Many of the great people in history experienced failure. Many (most, if not all) average people in history experienced failure as well. The extraordinary fact about great people is that they did not settle for failure. The greatest wouldn't even settle for success!

It never matters what area the battle is in, the victorious warrior is the one that never settles on the previous battle's outcome - win or loss. Perpetual loss is the trophy of those who refuse to fight, refuse to sacrifice, refuse to take risk, refuse to give ALL. Someone who has never experienced loss is someone who's never experienced a challenge. 

So my writing may go through the ringer from family members (thank GOD for spell check). My blog may never make the top 100 list (or thousand, or million...). My blog may not even show up on the google search pages. I'm ok with that. The real victory doesn't come from the accolades or recognition. The REAL victory comes from the endurance and character built up with every battle, with picking myself up after every defeat. True victory occurs when, in every aspect of life, more than 100% of myself is applied. 

In school, excellent is determined by a score of 100% and above. Perfection attained. Unlike school, "average" is determined by anything less than 100% in life. Perfection may be an illusion unattainable for us in this life, but it's a worthy aim and a possibility that will never be attained if no one tries...


1 comment:

  1. Really liked this quote in your blog: "Success in giving all is not a guarantee, but failure from giving nothing is a certainty." This applies in life, housework, politics-- and pretty much anything else! If no one cares to make things better, and no one tries to give anything--but to only take--eventually we all run dry. Press on & stay determined!

    ReplyDelete