Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Informed Opinion

I've heard this phrase numerous times in my life. In fact, I'm pretty sure this phrase has escaped my lips more than once. This phrase supposedly embodies the discontent of youth and the longing to enter adulthood - "I can't wait until I'm an adult, then I can do whatever I want!"

I say that this phrase "supposedly" embodies the desire to enter adulthood, but the keen fact is that this phrase only cements the ideology of a child and so results in a childish outlook of what adulthood is. 

When the young use this (all to common) expression, the pure concern is that the right of passage once the appropriate age is achieved yield the power and right to do whatever they want; a licence to express one's will without resistance or contradiction from other's. Young people (myself included) believe that coming of age means that one's actions are free from consequence or personal scrutiny, that one can finally live freely and focus on them alone. 

"I'm an adult, and I'll do what I want."

This saying insists on a rebellious nature consistent with that of a child's temper tantrum. Because I do consider myself an actual, bona-fide adult (at the ripe old age of 25...) let me tell you what I want to do. (Just try and stop me, punks!)

I want to live in such a way that contributes to my society. I want my opinions and actions to matter in light of the whole of human existence. I want to be connected to my cultural surroundings and endeavor for the betterment of others over my own personal advancements. I want to focus on filling up others and helping them instead of selfishly trying everything under the sun in a vain attempt to distract/entertain myself for a mere moment. I want what I do to matter to somebody. And I want that others should view my example as excellent and worthy of adopting as the philosophy for their lives as well. I want people to realize what it truly means to be an "adult."

Being an adult doesn't mean I get to live for myself. In fact, that would be the most miserable thing in the entire world. Imagine an unending quest to find the one thing that would fulfill life to the utmost. Imagine searching endlessly for something to entertain and delight the soul forever. Imagine seeking so fervently that all other concerns are pushed aside, other people's wants, wishes and desires are ignored outright simply because they do not pertain to the goal. That is a recipe for a miserable existence. Yet is is exactly what is meant in that youthful expression. 

No, being an adult means that everything I do should be constructive, not only for myself, but for those around me. 

So many people seem to think that the indulgences of this world are worthwhile. People get shrouded in the cigarette smoke, drown in alcohol, remain in a constant daze of drugs, all the while destroying their bodies and minds and wrecking their souls. Even their choice of foods leads to degradation. Obesity is rampant in America, diabetes seems as likely as the common cold, and healthy foods are scorned, rejected for the flavorful delights of sugary fats and "comforting" heart attacks waiting to happen. What man had meant for occasional treats, we have overindulged and made things never meant for it as a regular diet...

All in the name of personal freedom.

Sure, you get to do what you want, but doing that will not GET you what you truly want. These drugs anesthetize the reality of life without treating the symptoms. The condition is of the heart and the misguided perspective held by those who think the sole purpose of life is to be happy. Happiness is so conditional, so subjective. Chasing after what makes you happy will not yield health, fulfillment or even a life worthy of retelling. 

Instead, chase that which truly matters. Principles of valor, Virtues of honesty and integrity, and a relationship with the one, the Almighty God. Seek the things that no one can take away. Seek the things that circumstances cannot steal from you. Seek God above all else. Seek to live a life that is not bent on appeasing yourself and watch happiness find YOU. Change what you want. If you want to live for others, contributing to the lives of those outside yourself, you will find fulfillment enough to smile. And what's more, you will lend happiness to the lives you touch.

That's what I want to do. I am an adult. 

Grow up.

2 comments:

  1. When I saw you post on facebook that you had a new blog post, I got really excited for a minute. I thought you were going to tackle the suddenly very popular "Y.O.L.O" and the implications of that phrase. Personally, I hate that phrase and was curious to hear your thoughts on it.

    Regardless, I enjoyed these thoughts you had to share too. I often think about things along this line, wonder why no one ever told me being a grown up was like this, and wonder why I ever thought I'd be able to do whatever I want when I grow up. I think another thing these kids fail to realize (I was one of them... so were you... everyone was) is that being an adult doesn't really mean you can do whatever you want. That's not what it's about. Because when you're actually an "adult," you have to pay bills, you have to have a job to pay those bills, you have responsibilities.. (you may not want to do any of those things, but if you don't, you'll end up homeless or living in your parents basement until you're 35). Being an adult is about being responsible... which I think goes right along with what you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my... how have I not commented on Y.O.L.O. yet? Don't even get me started the fact that people feel the need to drop the periods so that those oblivious to its usage have NO clue it's actually an acronym, but the whole concept of using "you only live once" as an excuse just to mess up the one life that you DO have by doing stupid stuff... yeah, retarded.

    I would wish that people WOULD tell children about being a grown up! Instead the message seems to be "enjoy your childhood, because when you hit 18, it's over." And, so, leave their kids with NO preparation for when the real world hits. They either panick form their unpreparedness, or try to cling to the sesame street world they grew up with... Every other successful culture trained their kids to be looking towards adulthood and equip them with the values and principles necessary to help them succeed.

    "Reality bites" - it all comes down to perspective, which is shaped.

    ReplyDelete