Monday, March 5, 2012

Searching for Significance

Right. My plan was to create a vlog where I could express my continuing thoughts on the journey that most everyone on the planet deals with. This search for significance. This vlogging idea was shot down by myself after realizing my voice sounds as about as appealing as chocolate eel sauce on a sundae. Content to stick to the written word, I will share these thoughts with you, my faithful readers. 

I'll start out by telling you all a bit more about myself. My name is Jonathan David. Both my parents are pastors serving the Lord faithfully in Florida.
** I also have a dearly beloved sister who is a computer whiz master and makes the most delicious cookies you'll ever eat. I love her more than all the sugary treats in Holland. She lives in SC. (Addendum added after guilt trip from failng to mention her...)**
I serve at a local church in Lakeland, FL working with the youth and also some music ministry.  I am single, in my mid 20's and enjoy being adventurous and, yes, I love Halo. Something about besting another player with nothing but a pistol gets the adrenaline pumping. I am white, male, and did make it through college with the standard diet of insomnia and Ramen noodles. As you have noticed, I have lots and lots of thoughts. I want to write about what is important. So here's some food for thought.

I believe this search affects every single person on the planet. Everyone is either struggling with the realization of their level of significance, attempting to discover if they even have any, or are running away from any sense of significance. It's my hope that some of these thoughts can offer a helpful insight into this journey and direct some to the path they were meant to take. Maybe it will offer me some sense of significance to know I helped others. Well, here goes...

My first thought for you is this - What determines WHO I am?

I become apathetic from the crowds of people who are convinced that it's their physical attributes that determine (or in some cases, predetermine) who they are. My attributes are descriptors that help identify me as compared to someone else, but they aren't the totality of WHO I am. If people really believe that all they are is a physical or predetermined label, then they are sadly mistaken. 

I am more than just a middle-class, white male. I am more than just a bald, single youth pastor. It bugs me when people identify themselves purely by these superficial attributes. Most notably on my list are the homosexual community. I would HATE it if someone pegged me as defined simply by my sexual orientation. I can't quite understand why so many choose to make that the defining characteristic of their lives. But I do have a thought.

In the search for significance, we tend to cling to these physical or given attributes because they are generally unchanging. Really, unless you take drastic actions to change yourself, you can pretty much be sure that your gender, race, eye color, hair color, sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, etc. remain intact. All of these constants give people a basic identity to cling to. 

But this search often demands more from us than a simple description of the physical, superficial, or even artificial constructs that we're comfortable embracing. No, in order to find a place in this life worth having, we have to look beyond these characteristics into character itself.

In the grand scheme of things, how we are defined should not be determined by how we look, or what we classify ourselves as. Who we are is determined by our character, how we choose to react and interact with the world and people around us. Who we are is determined by choices that lead to actions. That is how we are truly known. That is how we truly become.

This is great news. Because no one is ultimately STUCK with the cards that nature gave them. No one is bound to simply be labeled based on race, height, weight, or the myriad of other things we look at. A person can CHOOSE who they will be. Will you be kind to those who mistreat you? Will you be patient and long-suffering in the face of adversity and challenge? Will you choose to love when all you get from others is hatred? Who will you be? What will you do? It all comes down to choice. Who you are does not hinge on the attributes of your genetic make-up. It's totally within which virtues you will embrace and implement into your character. 

Deciding who you are, or who you will become is the first step on the journey to finding significance.  

Answer me one simple question - Who are you?

4 comments:

  1. Here is the thought that came to my mind while I read this:

    In the book I'm reading right now for school, one of the things I've been picking up on is that they always define something by its relationship to something else. The subject is defined by its relationship to the object; time is defined by its relationship to eternity; faith is defined by its relationship to knowledge. Everything is defined by a relationship (or lack of). When it comes to defining ourselves, I see the same concept. So many times we try to define ourselves by our relationships, who we're with romantically, who our friends are, or who our family is. :)But the reality is, the defining relationship in our lives is not to any of those people. The defining relationship is the one we have with God. I am not defined by what the world thinks, by what I do for a living, or by the things I'm good at... I am defined by who I am in Christ; who I am because of my relationship with Him. That is what defines who I am.

    Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ultimately where definition winds up. Kierkegaard will also throw in there that there is that relationship to oneself that also adds in the definition process. (Really, too much thought into the specifics for me.) But good thoughts, Thank you, Bec!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. So many messages are sent and pushed at the 13-21 audience that encourage them to "find themselves" or "be who you are." Perhaps Galatians 2:20 and 2 Corinthians 5:14 is the best place to start as believers searching for our identity and significance. In an effort to stay "relevant" or "contemporary" our churches seem to be missing the message of "living the life Jesus modeled." Some may say, "How is that possible? He was God!" Jesus was fully God and fully man, therefore relying completely on the Father for every supernatural work He did. In short, Jesus came to model the life that He now calls us to live; a supernatural lifestyle that is reflective of His character! Why is it that this lifestyle is found rare in the church? But the more important question is: what are we going to do about it?

    Food for thought ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, Chris. The mainstream message is "be true to yourself!" as if life is all about discovering what's already there. If anything is found, that is who you are and you should embrace it unashamedly! (unless, of course, who you are is evil and hurtful, then you are to be arrested)

    But identity isn't discovered, it's forged. And if God doesn't have a heavy hand in that forging process, what turns out is a lump of uselessness and confusion. Or a self determinant personality that misses the mark completely. Either way, it's not very pretty... You're right in saying Churches need to help cultivate characters that more closely conform to Christ.

    ReplyDelete