Saturday, March 3, 2012

Coffee is universal

Once again I find myself sitting at the bar at my local Starbucks. But it's Saturday so I didn't find myself sitting until after participating in a line that rivals anything the tourists at Disney World can muster. It's amazing to me just how many people embrace the bean and are constantly willing to shell out 5, 10, even 30 dollars on decent coffee and pastries. 

I'm convinced that coffee is becoming the unifying factor between people.  At least people between the ages of 20-65. Families, poser teens, college students, newspaper readers, experienced adventurers (at least that's what they look like given their cargo shorts, hiking backpacks and polo shirts...), and coffee addicts alike gather to one place out of their love for coffee. 

Some things still confuse me. Today, almost everyone looked like they were dressed to go to the beach. I asked. No one is going to the beach... Question marks...

Also, I mentioned there was a line so long that my phone became obsolete while I stood there. Even so, you would think that those coffee enthusiasts who were locked in camaraderie with the waiting experience would have wisely taken that time to decide on a beverage and/or tasty pastry choice... that would have been nice... 

What is it that causes people to be so indecisive when faced with a multitude of choices? I know, it's the thought that casts doubt on any choice, "What will I be missing out on if I choose this?" Weighing the options can be a good thing, I encourage thinking through a decision as weighty as which blend of coffee and syrup combination to ingest in the early afternoon. For me, caffeine is caffeine and my taste buds aren't bothered either way. 

But why is there such a massive hesitation when it comes to decisions MUCH larger in scope than coffee? What happens when people are faced with eternal questions? What happens when doubt is cast on some one's faith and the very fiber of their belief system is tested? Why is it that people fail to consider these questions that affect the rest of their lives and far, far beyond?

Part of it, I think, is the same reason we struggle with coffee choices. It's difficult to commit to something and stick with it when you contemplate all the experiences and opportunities that may be missed as a result of a locked-in decision. Why choose to be a Buddhist, Christian, Catholic, Vegetarian when it means you may have to give up something? Do the costs outweigh the assumed benefits?

The other part is that people rarely enjoy the possibility of being wrong. We have no problem making a decision out of ignorance because ignorance can always be blamed to take the heat off of a poor decision. BUT when consideration and contemplation join forces with critical thought over a super important choice I, and I alone am responsible for the decision that's been made. If I choose to follow a path, I am held accountable for where it takes me. For most people this is an unacceptable risk in decision making. To take responsibility for one's decisions. To risk ridicule and experiencing a wrong answer to life's biggest questions. 

This is why Jesus tells his disciples to count the costs before agreeing to follow him. He knows what goes through the mind better than anyone. People haven't changed much. People still struggle with the possibility of being wrong and wistfully long for the things they may possibly be missing. Still, ignorance is not an acceptable answer anymore. 

If choosing your beverage order at your local Starbucks gives you pause, then how much more should the decisions with eternal ramifications give you cause to weigh out the possibilities. Because NOT choosing can have similar consequences to making the wrong choice. 

Friends, let us not live life in ignorance. Even Socrates knew this when he said "The unexamined life is not worth living." 

Whatcha thinking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment