Friday, January 18, 2013

Things I Make

It's FRIDAY! While that may mean payday to some  and the advent of the weekend and rest to others, to me it means that my busy days are approaching. However you shall be rewarded for slacking off from your Friday duties! Here's some stuff I made and a quick description of how I made it. 

Essentially everyone who's EVER played a video game has dreamed of bringing something from the game into reality. I am not immune to this fantasy, so I decided that I would bring Link's Shield from Legend of Zelda into the real world. I know others have already done this, so I knew it was perfectly doable. 

I start with finding a PEPAKURA file online. Basically, it's a program where people can take 3D objects, and digitally "unfold" them into 2D pieces. I can print this out, cut the pieces, and then fold and glue them together to make it 3D again. Think of it like a 3D puzzle. 


It looks like this when I'm done.


Because I print this out of cardstock, the next step HAS to be strengthening this shield so it's not flimsy or bendable. Because a shield that bends or rips is pretty much useless...

I pick up some Bondo fiberglass resin from Walmart. It's the stuff they use on car body-work. It's pretty effective and hardens into a tough shell. (If you decide to tackle this type of project on your own, be sure to read the directions for fiberglass resin CAREFULLY!)

Once the shield has had several coats of resin, I can move onto PAINTING! Priming the shield is key. What style of shield you decide to make helps determine what color to prime. New-looking shields should use a white or metallic to prime. I decided to make my shield look aged, so I primed with black. (I call this style RELIC)


Looks nice, right? Well, now we have to add color. For shields past, I used spray paint. I wanted a smooth, new look, and spraypaint can help that happen. When you do, you get a result like this.


 I used spraypaint for the silver and blue, and handpainted the red and gold. If you're not that proficient at free hand painting, you're in good company. I "cheat" by printing off the detail portion from the internet and making my own stencil.

Again, spraypaint works well for a newer look to your project, but I wanted one to look ancient. Instead of paint, I used Rub n Buff which I could just smear on with my fingers. This is what I ended up with.


I then used my hand  painted cheat for the red detail. Hint: if you put down some torn pieces of masking tape over where you plan to paint, you can get that scratched look. Just pull up the tape after you paint. 

My final piece turned out looking GREAT! Take a look.



Not too shabby if I do say. Only took my free time for a few days to make this happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment