Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Post in 30 Minutes

It's Tuesday. Once again, I find myself falling into the habit of breaking my set schedule for consistent posts. I'm tempted to say that Tuesday will just be an additional official post, but then I know I'll be tempted to break that ruling as well. Gotta give that rebellious nature some sort of outlet.

At some point in life, we've all had the feeling of impending doom. Not end of the world, appocolyptic kind of stuff. But that impending doom feeling that follows 5 assignment due dates that happened to covertly converge on a single day (always happens to be tomorrow!) and neither one is done. Or you lost something terribly important (like your passport on the bus...). It's not the doom that the whole Earth is ending, crumbling into oblivion... just YOUR world.

Fun feeling right? Pressure comes at you from all sides and there's no conceivable solution in sight! I know that when I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders I go to a place deep inside myself, in the corner hidden behind my courage, and find this little box with a tiny superhero resting inside. By the way, don't think just becase he's tiny that he can't do anything. I site Mighty Mouse, 'nuff said.

No, this tiny superhero nested deep inside, when released, takes over everything. Adrenaline spikes, my mind is clear, and I can see countless possibilities and solutions to my problems. Sure, only 15% of those solutions DON'T involve me setting fire to something, but every idea helps. It's this superhero that helped me through the stresses of college and why I work well under pressure.

Perhaps you have a superhero inside of you as well? An extraordinary piece of your being that you unlock when the world, people, and life pressures you to be amazing just resting beneath the consciousness of your mind. But what happens when your superhero takes a vacation? Or has become afflicted with cancer and lupus at the same time??! What happens when your superhero can't take it?

Oh my! In movies, they build up the hero to be auper awesome and potentially invincible (coughcoughSupermancoughcough) only to tear him down and introduce a challenge or insiginificant item (coughcoughkryptonitecoughcough) that renders the hero completely and utterly useless. Art mimics life and in these stories there is a great deal of truth.

In my life's circumstances (if you don't read blogs that hit on a personal level for the author, skip this paragraph and the next one), I'm finding my superhero is not uch help because he's drained. He's saved me too much and too often. The little things in life have erroded the immense power and strength that he supplied.

It's odd how the little things in life tend to wear down a person. It's like a thousand tiny pebbles that chip away at joy, sandblast imagination into oblivion, irritate a person to death, and make it always feel like you have sand in your undies...

To recharge this superhero, I have to recharge. How, you ask? Vanilla Coke, a week's vacation, and shrugging off responsibility until my insides come back into synch with reality.

My question to you on this Tuesday, where many people start feeling the world's pressure again, is "How do you recharge YOUR superhero?" (If you have one, what's his/her name?)

No comments:

Post a Comment