Sunday, October 9, 2011

Thought Singularity

Hey, there! Welcome to my blog! I'm immensely grateful that you are taking the time to read my thoughts. Feel free to let them become your own, to challenge what I say, and to share what you would like. I welcome plagiarism.


I often wonder what it would be like if I could only say a single phrase or word for the rest of my life. What word/phrase would I want to represent my thoughts and character for the remainder of my days? This is a question I keep coming back to again and again because it's such a difficult thing to nail down. Do I want a representative phrase like a life motto? (Mine's "BRING IT!" btw) Or something more useful, like "thank you." That'd be nice. You should always be thankful.


Anyway, I still have no idea what my sole phrase would be, what thought would define my life. BUT I do know this; I don't want my life to be defined or confined by a standard, mundane thought. There's something about conventional thinking that seems so distastful to my essential being. Conventional thinking now includes that whole "thinking outside the box" concept which has kinda become the new box. Now a person can become pigeon-holed into one camp of thinking or the other. This does not seem productive to me.


Now, my line of thinking is this: On Star Trek (if everyone were a Star Trek fan, then I wouldn't have to explain this illustration too much... follow the parantheses if you get lost) the ship usually comes across some sort of space anomoly (an anomoly is something uncharacteristic of the normal laws of space-time. A unique occurance). Some of these are called "singularities" (usually the term spelled out as a gravitational singularity. called by an imploding star or other irregularity of gravity. Again, a fairly uncommon and unique occurance).


I want my thoughts that define my life to be like a singularity. I want them to be unique, dazzling, amazingly brilliant. But I also want them to have gravity. I want my thoughts to grab people, pull them in and win them over to the uniqueness of though. I like being unconventional, but not simply for unconventional's sake.


Here's a danger I try to avoid: being defined by someone else. If I say "I like to think unconventionally" people tend to automatically assume that you are unconventional and now I've been branded for life. It's seered into my flesh and there's no hope to change... NEVER, EVER let people define who you are. DO NOT accept that. God is the only one able to define a person's character and identity, a person's thoughts.


My thought singularity is produced not from my own uniqueness or my desire to be unconventional, but it coes for seeking God's will and ideas and refusing to let myself be defined by others' perceptions.


This is the start of something huge. A mental revolution. Are you ready to get sucked in?


Two things you should take away from this post. 1. You NEED to become a Star Trek fan! 2. Don't let other people define you, don't even try for yourself. Let God do it. He's better.


Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Very true! Just because someone says you are a certain way or gives you a negative label doesn't mean you have to accept it. We are who God calls us to be, and we are a work in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point. The inverse is also true. Sometime people want to build us up and encourage us to be something that we are not. Often times, that's more frustrating than people who want to label you in a bad sense... Remembering that it's God who defines and works on us takes the pressure off of us trying to "find ourselves." We don't have to be responsible for the vision, only in participation towards the end product.

    ReplyDelete